Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Real Romney and Another Campaign Song

Remember Nixon's secret plan to end the VietNam War? I don't, because there wasn't one. I mean, there was one, because Nixon said there was, but after he was elected, it seemed to be conveniently forgotten.

Now, remember Willard's performance yesterday at the NAACP convention? You know, when he told the assembled delegates that he was going to repeal "Obamacare?"

Kabuki theatre. The candidate as Braveheart. Charles Blow does an excellent analysis of why Romney did and said what he did and said. You can read it in full here, but he also offers an update of events which happened after Willard left the convention and returned to the campaign trail.

Willard went onto Hamilton, Montana, for a fund-raising event, where he pretty much said the same thing to Republicans as he said to the NAACP - except he qualified himself more openly:-

I had the privilege of speaking today at the N.A.A.C.P. convention in Houston and I gave them the same speech I am giving you. I don’t give different speeches to different audiences all right.

(Oh, well ... that's all right then. Far be it for a candidate to tax his integrity by maybe giving more than one speech to several diverse demographics. I'd call that lazy.)

 When I mentioned I am going to get rid of Obamacare they weren’t happy, I didn’t get the same response. That’s O.K, I want people to know what I stand for and if I don’t stand for what they want, go vote for someone else, that’s just fine.

(Brave Willard. Honest Willard. It's as if he's proving his credentials by reminding them that he went and spoke to a roomful of Negroes, told them he was going to repeal Obamacare, and now stands before them to tell the sordid tale.)

Now here's the best bit ...

 But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy — more free stuff. But don’t forget nothing is really free. It has to paid for by people in the private sector creating goods and services, and if people want jobs more than they want free stuff from government, then they are going to have to get government to be smaller. And if they don’t want to repeal Obamacare they are going to have to give me some other stuff they are thinking about cutting, but my list takes Obamacare off first and I have a lot of other things I am thinking of cutting.

So, there you go ... the speech he's giving to the good Republican citizens of Hamilton, Montana, is actually a tad different from that which he gave to the NAACP; because here, he talks the code talk that he really couldn't express at the convention. Here, repealing Obamacare is all about getting rid of the free stuff - you know, the stuff the government hands out to minorities and poor people (many of whom are minorities, in these people's minds), which responsible people pay for via their taxes - which will, inevitably, have to be increased and shouldered by these very people in order to pay for the poor getting ... the free stuff.

I told y'all that language evolves all the time, and that now there's almost a limitless vocabulary of euphemisms which can only be identified as subtle dog whistling.

The delegates at the NAACP convention saw the real Romney and booed him. The viewers of Fox News and people who hang on every word spewing forth from the mouths of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck saw and heard the faux Romney in that speech - the lone, brave white man who entered the darkened den of the people who've taken their country from them and told a singular truth, got booed and survived. But the people of Hamilton, Montana actually heard the real, real Romney too, and that was a Romney who wants to be President of all the people in the United States, but with a given that various of those people learn to know their place.

I think the Democrats should use Willard's real words, like those spoken in Hamilton, Montana, or like those spoken when he said he had no real concern for the poor or like the many, many times he's been revealed to be the effete elitist that he is, do a mock-up of all of those quotations and set it to background music, like this - for example:-



I'm sorry ... I just keep finding all these songs the Democrats could use against Willard ...

No comments:

Post a Comment